UG 28 - A BETTER SOCIETY
The project takes place in the center of Karamoja in Napak district.
This region is characterized by unreliable rainfall which makes agriculture not only difficult but also unreliable. Given the prolonged drought periods, the region is often hit by famine. If this situation affects the whole region in general, the ones who pay the negative consequences are the elderly and orphaned children. In a reality where there is little food to share among many, the last to access are the weak.Another very vulnerable group are the young. Facing the challenge of job scarcity. Those who enter the labor market in the Ugandan context are those who manage to climb the ladder of education. In this reality, there are many young people who dropout of school or do not go to school because of poverty. This group is at great risk of being involved in the human trafficking network that has become very widespread in this region.
The project is therefore aimed at:
- providing food to vulnerable members of this society
- to support the education of some needy children by providing them with stationery
- to help young people in need start an income generation project
- Alleviating hunger among vulnerable members of society
- Ensuring poor children access and continue their studies
- Protecting young people from falling victim to human trafficking
Direct: 70 elderly, young and children
Indirect: families and society karimojong in general
Referent sister for the project: sr Maria Grazia Neri