UG 14 - ENHANCE CHARITY IN LUZIRA PRISON
The women’s prison in Luzira, is located on the outskirts of Kampala, the capital of Uganda. For over twenty years the Comboni Sisters and Missionary Novices have been working for social and spiritual assistance to imprisoned women and their children living in prison with them.
The women detained in this prison come mostly from the south-central part of the country. Since the death penalty has never been abolished in Uganda, but only temporarily suspended, the prison also has a "death row" that hosts about twenty prisoners from all over the country. Many of the inmates are awaiting trial; this wait, which can last from a few months to a few years.As is often the case, the prison is overpopulated and despite having a capacity of 300 places, it also accommodates up to 500 inmates. To these are added about thirty children, under the age of three, children of the aforementioned prisoners, who are allowed to live with their mother if other relatives can not take care of them.
Our service program includes:
- Weekly visits of support and human and spiritual comfort. Acting as a liaison with family members unable to visit them.
- Provide basic necessities such as milk, sugar, medicine, food for children, utensils and linen.
- Living the Christmas day with the inmates, participating in their recreational activities, offering the Christmas lunch and a small gift to every woman and child.
- For women the gift consists of a kitenge (a piece of multipurpose fabric essential to the African woman), a bar of soap and a laundry soap.
- Children are given a toy and a pack of cookies and candy.
- Follow some women who, having finished serving their sentence, have difficulty reintegrating into their villages to continue living the normality of daily life.
- Being a friendly and hopeful presence alongside women in prison
- Maintaining contact with distant family unable to visit inmates for various reasons
- To contribute to the reintegration of prisoners into society once they have been released.
Direct: 500 women detained and 30 children
Indirect: Families and society
Referent sister for the project Sr. Angelina Nyakuru